Replacing Headlights on 911 3.2s and 964s
911s in ‘88 and ‘89 (and at least some from earlier 3.2 years; can’t quite find an exact demarcation point) had the same headlights that made it into the 964s. I had to pull them apart to replace my bulbs last night after noticing that my low beams were out. This video was an enormous help. In a short:
- Unscrew the bottom bolt on the rings which holds the rings in place.
- Lift and pull to remove the ring, which is held in place by a small lip on the body-side above the bucket. If the lights haven’t been opened up in a while (20+ years in my case) it might take some effort to pull the rings. I used a hook tool wrapped in a microfiber towel placed into the bottom bolt’s hole and pulled hard on the right side. Left side lifted with no issue.
- Remove the four bolts which hold the light assembly in place (one each at 2:00, 4:00, 8:00, 10:00).
- Unclip the harness, remove the light assembly, remove the star-shaped retaining clip and replace the bulb. Use conductive grease to prevent connector corrosion.
- Assembly is the reverse of the above.