I’ve never been a new year’s resolution kind of guy - if it’s important enough to do, there’s no reason to wait until the end of the year. But the turn of the calendar offers the opportunity to look back on some adjustments I made throughout the year. Indulge me in a little reflection:
- Restarted my journaling habit
- Let my work-life take a little less, and keep a little more for my family and friends - I’d say I’ve been successful since January
- Read more books - semi-successful, getting better again lately
- Make my kids laugh every day - check
- Fix more broken stuff myself - check
- Buy less - check
- Rely less on news aggregation (Reddit) and more on reading and critiquing journalism - Moving slowly in the right direction
- Be intentional with my time - Was very good February through June, let myself get caught in the churn mid-year, back at it over the past couple months
- Lead with curiosity - I should write more about this, but suffice it to say for now that this has been a big change over time and has gone well. Still need to develop this muscle, though
- Define concrete individual work goals - Yes, and documented! Sometimes writing them down is the hard part
There are opportunities, too, as there always are. I want to spend more time getting away both with the kids and just with Linds. But these changes don’t have to be right now.
Still haven’t speckled and painted that dent in the drywall in our bedroom, though.